Monday, January 10, 2011

Training Week 1/10-1/16

M- 15 minutes on the stationary bike. Lungs and throat still not feeling up to running outside, so I thought I'd try the bike. What a mind numbing piece of equipment that is.

Tu- 3.3 miles with Roger at Settlers Green. Must have walked 3 miles up and down a small mountain at work today.

W- 3.9 miles in 58:27 on snowshoes going up Rattlesnake Mt. in 8-10" of fresh powder. I love snowshoe running. Lungs feeling a little better. 400 ft gain

Th- AM: 4.0 miles up Rattlesnake again in 54:40. Made it 0.2 miles farther up, but the run took 4 minutes less after packing down the deep snow. 600 ft gain
PM: 2.0 in 28:24 with Roger at Whitaker Woods. This was Roger's first snowshoe run!

F- 5.4 miles up and down Rattlesnake in 1:18:04. I made it to the summit this time! (45:13). Thanks to Tim Livingston who packed out the rest of it on a hike yesterday. 3 strides on groomed trails near end. 1200 ft gain

Sa- Feel Good Farm Snowshoe Race, 2nd by 9 seconds (38:04) to Josh Ferenc. We battled back and forth with me leading the ups and him the downs. He caught me with about 1/4 mile to go and I had no response. I am in good climbing shape, but need to get stronger. Only 45 seconds slower than last year on a slightly longer course in much slower conditions. 2.0 wu, 2.3 cd, 1200 ft gain

Su AM: 12.1 miles on the snowmobile trails around Silver Lake in 2:12 with Paul. It felt good to get out on the groomed trails again. We were planning on a 6 mile / 60 min out and back, but were having too much fun to turn around. I was planning on 3 hours, but knew I still had skiing ahead of me.
PM: 1:51 of classic skiing at Jackson w/ Jess. Nice and easy.

Totals: 39.0 miles, 9.8 hours, 3400 ft gain. Glad to finally get the volume up. Not a lot of miles, but snowshoeing is slow and takes some time to cover the distance. It was a little risky racing on Saturday after fighting the head cold and not doing any workouts in over a week, but glad I did it. This week I need to concentrate on getting out every day and getting the workouts in. I'm looking forward to hotsing (and hopefully racing) the snowshoe race at Whitaker Woods this coming Saturday.

3 comments: